Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

There's a Peach Pie in the Kitchen

Well hello. How are you today? Did I hear a "just peachy"? You jokesters.
Now, gather round, pull up a chair, pour yourself a glass of iced tea. I've made a peach pie for you!


This summer I wanted to bake a traditional peach pie. I saw some fancy versions that tempted me, but I decided I wanted to try out a very basic pie first. The pie I wanted would be at home in a farmhouse kitchen, made from peaches freshly plucked from the trees, and rolled up with ingredients on hand. I did a little searching and came up with a recipe called Summer Sweet Peach Pie from the Good Things Catered blog.



This pie was just what I wanted--luscious peaches warmed by cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg, swimming around in a pool of brown sugar and fragrant juice. The crust* was buttery, salty and sweet with a bit of crunch. This was my first ever attempt at a lattice-topped pie, and I think it turned out pretty decently. I love that it looks homey, like something you'd see cooling in your grandmother's kitchen.

* * * * *

*The crust recipe is from Dorie Greenspan's super-wonderful book Baking: From My Home to Yours. Here's the recipe for a single crust, just double it if you'd like to make the lattice top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin