Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

CSA Day: What to do with beets?

We got heaps of vegetables from our Finger Pickin' Farms CSA this week.

In roughly clockwise order starting from 12 o'clock: Lots of different squash, beets, swiss chard, onions, peppers, cucumbers, lettuces, red, white, and blue potatoes, red and yellow tomatoes.

Beets--if nothing else, they look pretty.

I'm pretty sure that the last time I ate a beet was in kindergarten. It was squishy and came from a can. And I recall President Obama saying that beets are the only food he doesn't like. Beets also remind me of a cartoon I used to watch called Doug.* Maybe you remember it. There was a Beatles-like band on the show called "The Beets."

Anyway, I don't really know what to do with this bundle of beets. Roast them? Juice them? The thought of juicing them makes my nose wrinkle up, so maybe I'll just go with roasting. I'm open to suggestions, though. Anybody got any good beet recipes?


* * * * *


*Superdork alert: This is a link to the opening sequence of Doug on the Disney Channel. I watched the original Doug on Nickelodeon, but can't find the theme song with video. Here's a link to the song, which is quite classic as far as '90s cartoon theme songs go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin