Pages

Friday, January 22, 2010

Bobble-edged Wrist Warmers


Oh me, oh my, I'm a bit behind in showing you all of the things I've been making. These are some wrist warmers I made for my friend Christine, the same Christine I made a new year's resolution to see this year. Christine pointed out that she isn't my long lost friend, just more of a far away and seldom seen one.



Anyway, while I've spent my time these last few months belly-aching about the cold in Kentucky, Christine has been dealing with winter in Minnesota. I thought I'd do what I could to keep her a bit warmer.



You may remember I've been on a bit of a wrist warmer kick as of late, so that's what I decided to make. I used the same yarn (Fishermen's wool) for these that I used to make K's wrist warmers and my Back to School hat.




The pattern is improvised--did you know that wrist warmers can be as simple as crocheting a rectangle?
I used half-double crochet, which is a fast stitch and dense enough to keep you warm. The bottom edging is just single crochet, and I used Attic24's bobble-shell edging for the top.

* * *

The current crochet project I'm working on is a red scarf for Craft Hope. The scarves will be sent to college students who have aged out of the foster care system. You've got until February 14th if you want to crochet or knit a scarf for this good cause. Thanks to Jodi at The Jolly Bee for giving me a heads up about this project!

I feel like the internet has been all abuzz with talk of the Craft Hope for Haiti etsy shop, but I thought I'd throw in another plug for it here. You can donate your handcrafted items to be sold or you can simply buy from the shop. All proceeds go to Doctors Without Borders in Haiti.

And lastly, if you're a knitter or crocheter, many people on ravelry are donating some profits from their pattern sales to help the Haiti relief efforts. Here's the link for knit patterns and here's for crochet patterns. I've got my eye on this sock pattern.



8 comments:

  1. Yeah Allison....I love the wrist warmers! It's work keeping in touch with distant friends, but I'm sure she's so appreciative of the thought and time put into this gift. You probably warmed her heart as well as her wrists with this one. I've learned so much from Lucy's Attic24 blog. But, you're an inspiration too. (And thank's for the shout-out -- I can't wait to see how your scarf turns out).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just printed a pattern for wrist warmers yesterday. I fully expect for our current 75* weather to turn cooler before spring makes its way here.

    I'm starting work on the scarves this weekend. I love a simple project that's also a good cause.

    And I hope you don't mind, but I added you to my "talented sorts" roll. Because you are very talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wristwarmers are very nice and I'm sure the scarf will be also. You are quite an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those wrist warmers are beautiful, Allison. And I love that you always tell a corresponding story for each item you make - it makes your creations all the more special!

    xo,
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I love 'em! I wore them all last week, and they worked out very well since the weather was in the 30s (practically tepid for this time of year!). There is one downside, though: I'm terribly afraid losing them! I practically want to sew them onto my coat sleeves (but don't worry, I won't!). Many thanks, again and again!

    -christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok...so I made some flowers...I have a LOT of practicing to do.
    Hope you had a good weekend.
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful wrist warmers. They look like they are going to keep your friend nice and toasty.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin