Pages

Monday, January 25, 2010

Signs of the Weekend


K took me on a little birthday day trip to Bardstown, Kentucky (home of My Old Kentucky Home) this weekend. We drove less than 40 miles outside of the city, but it felt worlds away.



We passed this intriguing flea market, though we didn't stop this time. I have a feeling this place is over-hyping itself just a tad, you think? Has anybody local been there? I'm curious about it.



We also passed several bourbon distilleries, including Jim Beam. Fun fact: My grandfather on my dad's side was related to Jim Beam. Another fun fact: My family favors Maker's Mark, and K really likes Wild Turkey. I was a bourbon drinker for about a year, but I'm retired from hard liquor now.



This is a dry cleaner's sign in Bardstown. It's kind of clever, kind of creepy.



Food highlights were fried dill pickle chips at the Old Talbott Tavern and ice cream from Banana Moon. The ice cream shop reminded me of the apartment from Big--it had high ceilings and contained all sorts of things kids daydream about having, like lots of monkeys, bicycles, life-size cardboard cutouts of Elvis, a giant plush Superman, and tons of ice cream.  The sundae was K's; I had the biggest chocolate malt the world has ever seen.

I hope your weekend was wonderful! Have a great last week of January!
(is it just me or is this year already flying by?)

2 comments:

  1. I've given up the hard liquor as well. Unless it's mixed into a margarita.

    Your trip looks simple, sweet, and fun. Fuel for the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to try a fried dill pickle, go to a flea market and eat some of that ice cream. It sounds like your day was happy.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin