Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Leaving on a Jet Plane





Julie and me

Today my little sister is leaving for London. She'll be studying abroad for a semester. She's excited and nervous, and I'm excited and nervous for her. There's so much for her to see and do, and oh yes, study.

It's her first big trip away from home all by herself. It's so strange because I know I studied abroad at the very same age she is now, and  I remember feeling so old, but when I look at Julie I can't help thinking she's so young!

Julie will have so many memorable times in the next few months--happy times, sad times, wonderous times. She will have some of the best times in her life. I can't wait to hear her stories and see her pictures (and have her back in my arms in May).  I hope this blog can be a place for her to check in when she's homesick in the middle of the night--a place where she can visit and feel a little bit of home.

* * *

I love you, Jules! Email often, call when you can, and come home safely. We'll be waiting for you.

* * *

Thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes! I had such a lovely day.

2 comments:

  1. She will have a great time. I did a semester in London and then went exploring many, many sites throughout Europe. She'll be just fine -- and hopefully enjoy every minute, but not pine away for her family. Your blog will allow her to see all that's going on in your world. (I went over in the dark ages. It was the mid-80s. I never even called home for updates. Just good old snail mail back in those days!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful letter to your sister, dear. She is a lucky person!

    -maria

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin