Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sorrel Soup and Squash Love



I mentioned before that we've got loads of sorrel growing in our garden, thanks to my friend Kristie. She's a long-time friend, one of those people that you feel close to even if you only see them a handful of times over the years. When I saw her last December, our conversation turned to the dream we each had to have our own garden. It's a dream rooted in being settled, self-sufficient, and connected to the land.

I didn't know during that December conversation how soon I would be digging a garden of my own. K and I were lucky enough to be able to stay in the same place for another year and our landlords actually told us we could have a garden before we even asked. So K tilled and I planted vegetables and herbs.

Kristie came to our wedding toting a basket full of sorrel and johnny jump-ups for us to plant in our garden. She spent her spring working on a farm in Michigan and had fallen in love with sorrel. It was such a thoughtful present, and we're still making good use of it.



We used our wedding sorrel to make this soup from the Sundays at Moosewood Cookbook. It's such a simple soup that after making it twice, I typed the recipe out from memory. Don't worry, though, I checked the cookbook to make sure I had everything right.

* * *

(Wedding) Sorrel Soup

from Sundays at Moosewood cookbook

1 onion, finely diced
3 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon flour
2 cups sorrel, washed, stemmed, and finely chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
2 egg yolks
1 cup milk

Saute onion and butter in a soup pot until the onion is translucent. Add the flour and stir. Add the sorrel and cook until just wilted (1-2 minutes). Add the broth, heat to boiling, turn down heat and simmer for a few minutes. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and milk together. While whisking, add 2 cups of the hot soup to the egg/milk mixture. Pour this soup-egg mixture back into the soup pot and heat gently. Don't let it boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add a few dashes of hot sauce to individual bowls if you like it spicy.

Find more Moosewood recipes here.

* * *


I also roasted a butternut squash from last week's CSA box for dinner last night.
Isn't it sweet? After I scooped out the seeds, the insides formed these hearts.

4 comments:

  1. That squash looks so darling!
    I've honestly never heard of sorrel. The soup looks yummy though, especially on an autumn-y day like today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liesl-
    Someone else told me they hadn't heard of sorrel either. If you come across any, you've got to try it! It has a really tangy flavor. In addition to soups, it's also good in salads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I don't know sorrel! Can we get it at our market? Now I'm curious! Patrick of Argyle Farms (next to Finger Pickin') has a spicy mustard green that we've been loving the last couple of weeks. Before Patrick, I had never known arugula, which I now LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if we've got it at the market. In the spring, Nick had a little bit of sorrel that he put in our CSA box. I guess that's where I first heard of it. I'm not sure if he's got any now or not.
    I've never had spicy mustard greens. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin