Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

to keep her warm


{ta-da moment}


{quilting}


{handsewing the binding}


{taking it for a test run while I do some knitting. yep, the quilt works just fine.}



 {finished. hooray!}

Finally, I can show you what I was working on for my mom's birthday. A quilt! My sister and I made this together. It was fun to collaborate on it (and to have someone help with all that ironing and pinning!).

I was so excited to give this quilt to Mom. It may have been the most excited I've ever been to give a gift. She loved it! And I love knowing that she's keeping the winter cold at bay by snuggling under a handmade quilt.

Although the quilt is far from perfect, I have good memories of making it with my sister, and I learned so much about quilting from the process. Mom and I made a couple of baby quilts together before Jude was born, but she did the bulk of the finishing on those. This was the first quilt I took the lead on and actually felt like I kind of knew what to do. There was lots of Googling, of course!

Our brick quilt was inspired by Alicia's rectangle quilt. We cut our fabric into 6-inch by 3.5-inch rectangles and used 1/4-inch seams throughout. We backed it with vintage pink flannel and used an antique-rose-colored fabric for the binding. I've heard people say that handsewing the binding is their favorite part (perhaps there's something meditative about it?), but I didn't find that to be true for me. It took a lot of chocolate to get me through that sewing, and at the end I had to scrub chocolate out of the quilt (oops!). I forgot to measure the completed quilt, but it's lap-sized.

I'm already looking forward to the next quilt I make! You can find my sewing inspiration here.


* * *

Stay warm, friends!



6 comments:

  1. What a priceless collaboration and what beautiful memories you, your sister, and your mum have. I really like that red-orange colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's absolutely beautiful and the most important thing is that is something nice made with love...priceless, your mum is a lucky mum.

    Have a nice weekend!!

    Lluisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful. I love the softness of the colors. I'm sure your mother loved it to pieces. And how special that you and your sister made it together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Mom's quilt is beautiful! I love the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really beautiful---the colors and brick pattern are so perfect. And the fact that your sister and you made it together!

    I'm in the hand-sewing-the-binding-love group. It's odd considering I tend to prefer the start of projects more than the end of them. Maybe it's about making the raw edges neat?

    (And have I mentioned how much I love that chair!? Gorgeous!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin