Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

before the thaw















Like so many other places, we've been hit with snow and ice and snow again. Snow doesn't usually stay on the ground for long in Kentucky, but this winter we've had it for weeks, long enough to get sick of it. Oh yes, I've had my fill of snow. I've also had my fill of being cooped up in the house. Jude and I kept ourselves as entertained as we could with piles of books and toys, and of course I've been squeezing in some knitting (a Milo for next fall). I've been keeping warm in the kitchen and filling our bellies with potato soup and hot chocolate with homemade marshmallows, the perfect things to help us through the gray winter days.

Things have been thawing out over the past few days. The snow and ice disappeared, and the ground turned to squelchy mud. We've been out for walks and done some porch sitting with bare arms. We've actually seen our neighbors! Everyone seems so happy to be out. Jude is enjoying his newfound mobility and finding ways to maneuver where he wants to go. He started pointing at things this week and saying what we interpret to be, "What's that?" I'm excited to get outdoors and explore with him.

* * *

I am looking forward to the Sugarbush Maple Syrup Festival this weekend. I'm excited to eat waffles with lots of syrup and drink maple syrup tea! Check it out if you're in the area. It's my favorite festival of the year.

6 comments:

  1. That festival sounds like a yummy fest. Jude is darling. Look at that little tuft of hair. Your marshmallows look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics, especially the frozen bare trees. Milo is a great little pattern for kids and such a pleasure to knit. I miss bub knits. The festival sounds brilliant. What we wouldn't give to eat local maple syrup in Melbourne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how big he is getting! So cute!! I'm so excited to see the snow melting here, though it is definitely taking longer for it to get "browner" instead of white. But I've noticed we've lost at least a foot of the snow in our backyard. :) Your hot chocolate looks divine! & The Maple Sugar Festival sounds delicious! Can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jude is a cutie! I'm so glad I got to see you again at the kid's sale, despite the horrendous line! Let me know how the festival goes and how deep the mud is--I'd love to go, but I'm afraid of trying to carry/push two small ones around through the depths of mud caused by the thaw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweetie! That festival might be a perfect day to spend for Hubster's birthday next weekend. Must look into a drive up there on Sat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For being such a short month, February can feel very long. I think everyone, even winter fans, get a little weary of the snow and cold around now.
    Glad things are thawing and you're getting out in the elements---even if they are of the muddy variety. :)

    Hope you had fun at the festival. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin