Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Orange You Lovely Headband


This is the first of my "Christmas presents revealed" posts.

The moment I saw this headband pattern (via virginia blue), I knew I had to make one for my friend Christine. She lives in Minnesota and has to battle with cold and snow for months on end. Christine also hates hats. She favors warm woolly headbands for keeping her ears from getting frostbite.

Back in May, Christine gave me my first knitting lesson. While I sat around practicing stitches, she whipped up a green headband for herself. So I knew I needed to make this headband a little different to entice her to wear it. I picked a bright orange color called Mulling Spice (mmm...just the name makes me feel warmer) and a pattern with a bold flower. I met Christine in Japan, where she pedaled around the city on a fancy orange bike. It stood out from all the other bikes, so that when we met up at a restaurant I could quickly scan the bikes parked outside to see if she had arrived yet. Orange always reminds me of her.


This is a really fast project. It came together in a few hours for me. All the stitches used are basic, so this would be a satisfying beginner's project. I finished the headband with a cream-colored button, which I forgot to take a photo of. You could also stitch the two ends together to finish it. 

Details
Pattern: Crochet Flower Earwarmer from Cut out and Keep
Yarn: Brown Sheep worsted in Mulling Spice
Hook: H
Made for: Christine, Christmas 2010


7 comments:

  1. Too cute, and it sounds like the perfect gift! I grew up right on the Minnesota border and functional warm headgear is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute. Orange isn't normally a color I'd be drawn to, but this shade is sweet. And that flower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... so cool! what a beautiful headband!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a practical gift with that special Allison flair -- sure to be loved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I DO love it!!! I've been wearing it every day and enjoying being stylish AND warm - oh so necessary during this unusually cold & snowy winter (even by Minnesota standards!). I'll try to post of photo of me wearing it soon... Until then, I get to wear the brightest and most cheerful headband in all of Minneapolis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously cute.

    I'm thinking of taking the plunge and trying to knit. Is it hard to transition from hook to needle?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I can't wait to make one. What size button did you use and how did you attach it? And did you purposefully leave a hole for it or does the pattern sort of leave one?

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin