Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

csa day: green and yellow edition


What's in the CSA box this week? (6/15/2010)




From left to right, top to bottom.
Column 1: Fennel
Column 2: Kale, squash, lettuce
Column 3: Cucumbers, arrowhead cabbage, green beans, squash and a golden zucchini

This week is the start of something a little different with our CSA. Our CSA is going to home delivery, so instead of picking up our vegetables at the farmers' market, our box now shows up on my dad's front porch. Nick, who owns Finger Pickin' Farms, explained that home delivery will allow him more time in the fields picking, and hopefully more produce for us. We did get something unexpected in our box this week--flowers! It's the first time for flowers from our CSA, but I hope not the last because I love fresh flowers. 



My half of the CSA flowers

* * * * * 
Weekly Menu:

--Leek and Potato soup. Just the thing you want on a hot, humid day: a steaming bowl of soup. We had all the ingredients on hand, so I made it despite the weather. I'm glad I did because it tastes wonderful. Plus, I just got Mastering the Art of French Cooking from the library and discovered that if I stir some cream into my soup and eat it chilled, it's vichyssoise. What fancy leftovers I have.

--Blue cheese and Squash Pizza. I used this pizza dough recipe, but it was too salty for my tastes. I'll probably try it again with less salt, but if you've got any pizza dough recipes you love, send them my way.

--Cook out at Mom's. Meat and vegetables on the grill (and veggie meats for me), Mom's famous potato salad, and peaches

--Skillet Nachos with Black Beans and Squash. A one pot meal. Saute about 2 cups of vegetables--in my case squash--in a skillet until crisp-tender. Add 2 cups of beans and 1/2 cup of salsa. Cook until warmed through. Remove the mixture and wipe the skillet clean. Toss in tortillas chips and top with the vegetable/bean mixture. Add some shredded cheese. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with your choice of: olives, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, jalapenos, etc. (Adapted from Betty Crocker's Quick and Easy Cookbook)

--CSA hodgepodge. Green beans, cabbage casserole, and baked beans.

--Dinner out. Maybe the Swan Dive

--Kale chips for a snack. I have to try them after so many of you highly recommended them.

* * * * * 

What are you eating this week?




5 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your CSA and need to research if there is something similar in my area! This week our eating hasn't been to fancy other than on the 14th when I made my families traditional Belgium waffles for my husband and I's anniversary. I think tonight is BBQ chicken and Kale Chips, and tomorrow will be just a big salad after a long work day. Then this weekend I am off to work at Korean camp so I will be eating a lot of kimchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wish we had CSA. The meals sound so delicious...especially CSA hodpodge. And skillet nachos. I've got that cookbook, also. The flowers are beautiful, such a nice thing for them to do.
    I bet you're probably loving the idea of home delivery...I would assume you get the CSA delivery earlier than waiting for when Korey gets in from work.
    Enjoy the veggies.

    Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home delivery and flowers! How sweet!
    Sounds like a another tasty week for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the nacho idea! Sounds similar to something we call Taco Mash. So very good.

    Here is the pizza dough recipe I use...it's 100% whole wheat, so there is a nutty flavor to it, but I happen to like that.

    2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
    2 pkgs quick rise yeast
    1 1/2 t salt
    1 t sugar
    1+ c very warm water
    4 t olive oil

    Combine all ingredients into a sticky ball. Let rise at least 30 minutes. Form into a crust. Poke holes all over with a fork. Top with favorite toppings. Bake at 450* until crisp on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhhh....Your delivery looks better than mine did last week. My share partner and I couldn't figure out half the stuff (yellow beets? undisclosed greens?). We're due for delivery number two tomorrow. And I love the flowers -- we're supposed to get those too. That soup sounds wonderful -- I've heard hot soup actually cools you down on a hot day. Did it?

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin