Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

CSA Day: Our first pumpkin of the season


Luke of Finger Pickin' Farms loaded up our CSA box with all kinds of good things this week.


Starting at 12 o'clock and continuing clockwise we have: broccoli, spaghetti squash, a type of acorn squash, arugula, Long Island Cheese pumpkin (I love that name!), mustard greens, sweet potatoes, lettuces, butternut squash, and turnips.



I used to like salad, but I never loved salad until we started getting lettuce through our CSA.
It's so crisp and fresh, and I love those gorgeous curly leaves.


The mustard greens are beautiful! The fronts of the leaves are deep purple and the backs are green.

I picked up some eggs and apples from Misty Meadows Farm. Don't they look pretty together?

* * *

Our farmers' market festival was this week, and of course I forgot my camera. Mom and I couldn't stay long, but we managed to sip some sweet apple cider fresh out of an antique cider press and listen to some live music. Also, we sampled a delicious dish of orzo, shiitake mushrooms, beets, cilantro, granola, and olive oil. It sounds like the strangest combination, but all the flavors played so well together. I saw quite a few people go back for seconds (and I might have been one of them).

I hope you're eating lots of fresh fall food this week!

1 comment:

  1. what beautiful and fresh looking produce!!! You are so fortunate to be able to get this!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin