Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

A Creamy Crocheted Hat Called Kate

My sister Julie and Kate (her hat)

A nice warm hat is exactly what everyone wants in the height of summer. Am I right or am I right?

Julie sure did appreciate the new hat I crocheted for her a couple of weeks ago. She'd put in a request for a cream-colored beanie with a flower, so this is what I came up with. I owed her something because I'm still working on her birthday afghan, a granny square blanket in her favorite colors. Oh yeah, her birthday was in April. Yikes. She's pleaded with me to finish it by the time the weather cools down again, and I promise I am working on it. The problem is that all of the crocheting is finished and now I've just got to stitch the pieces together, which is B-O-R-I-N-G. I've been stitching on a piece every once in a while, which is slow going, but it's finally starting to look like a blanket instead of just a bunch of crocheted pieces.

Hmm...What were we talking about before? Oh yes, the hat. This was the first time I've made a hat for a grown person, though I've dabbled in baby hats. It turned out pretty well, and I'm a big fan of the flower. It's so girly and really perks up an otherwise ordinary hat. The pattern I used is here and on Ravelry. There are knit* and crochet versions. I obviously used the crochet version, but had to make a lot of adjustments because I didn't have the correct size crochet hook.



Julie promptly named her hat Kate, after a book she was reading. She's happy that it will go with both her black coat and her brown coat, which is very convenient and functional.

I hope it will keep her beautiful noggin toasty and fashionable during cold winter outings.
Love you, Jules!

* * * * *

*I did attempt knitting again, spending several hours one recent evening poring over youtube videos and online tutorials. I finally got the hang of the knit stitch, but when I tried to learn how to purl, I instantly forgot the knit stitch and then failed at purling, too. Agh! I'm determined to learn, but I keep getting frustrated.

3 comments:

  1. Allison, this hat is super cute! I love the little flower...and I love that it is monochromatic. What a great gift you have, lady!
    -maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Maria! I think this hat would fit right in with the colors in your house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is so wonderful! Thanks for coming by to see me, I seared so many have given up on me..... Xo

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin