Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

yarn along: yellow audrey



This week I am knitting some lovely yellow Quince & Co. yarn into a cardigan. I love the twisted rib so far, but am a bit nervous to start the more complicated bit of the sweater. I feel like I can handle knitting directions if I take them one step at a time, though if I look ahead I get scared. So I'm taking deep breaths and focusing on the twisted rib. The waist-shaping, sleeves, and lace yoke will come later. This is the first time I've done a bottom-up sweater, so it's a good, new experience. 

I've been reading such fun books this week. Bossypants cracked me up. K read it right after me, so we got to talk about our favorite parts. He has told me several times that he wants to be just like Tina's dad, Don Fey, a guy who doesn't mess around. I loved reading about the origins of 30 Rock and Tina's time on SNL.

Of course I've also been reading a knitting book because I am a yarn nerd (if you are here because of the yarn along, you can probably empathize). Adrienne Martini describes a year she spent knitting a super-complex Fair Isle sweater. She throws in interviews with well-known knitting bloggers and designers. The book gave me a great overview of the knitting community as well as a lot of (a little too much) information about Alice Starmore's designs and legal issues. I especially liked this book because I don't have a knitting group yet, so I liked the interaction with another knitter.

* * * * * 

You all have had great book suggestions these past few weeks. What are you reading this week? What's in your project pile?


4 comments:

  1. I think you're approach to the sweater is a good one. Just take it one section at a time. Less overwhelming that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you've made progress! I'm sure you'll do fine with the rest of the sweater, taking it one step at a time. I was excited to look up "Buy Local Jeffersonville" and see a yarn/fiber store that offers classes! Yay! I'm going to try to stop in there next week--and I know the bus crosses the bridge to there, so if it isn't too long of a trip, you might want to check it out! Google "grinny possum"--the classes are from this past spring, so I'm going to see if they have anything in the works. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful yarn! I don't think I'm going to be able to hold out much longer; I keep seeing Quince & Co. yarn everywhere, it seems, and it always looks fantastic. I also have that sweater queued - it looks like a really beautiful knit.

    I don't think it's "yarn nerdy" at all to be reading a knitting book. But I read aloud to my husband from Elizabeth Zimmermann, so what do I know? [He's a really good sport. :) ]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the Audrey and what a perfect yellow. Glad to hear the Tina Fey book is good--I think I'm ready for a funny read. Have a lovely weekend, Allison!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin