28 things about me
1. A mug of tea almost always cheers me up.
2. I'm related to Abraham Lincoln and Jim Beam.
3. Right now I'm very excited about a knit along that's starting at work in February. We're going to knit the Baby Surprise Jacket.
4. I am messy. I like messy activities like baking, ceramics, and playing with all of my yarn at once.
5. I've am trying to be a tidier person. My two goals are to leave the bathroom counter clean every morning and make my bed before I go to work. Right now? The counter is clean, but the bed is unmade.
6. I studied in Amsterdam for a semester. One of my favorite things to do was bike along the Amstel River. I'd stop for lunch among the windmills and sit on the bank to watch the boats go by.
7. My favorite flower is lilac. Peony is a close second. I need to find the perfect spot for both in my yard.
8. I recently (as in this morning) received some very good professional news out of the blue.
9. I love trying new restaurants. My current favorites are Eiderdown, Simply Thai, and Roots.
10. Sometimes I wear headphones on the bus but don't turn on any music. Nobody bothers me, and I get to eavesdrop.
11. If I could only watch one movie for the rest of my life, it'd be The Royal Tenebaums.
12. I also want to steal Margot Tenebaum's style. And the whole Tenebaum house. I want it.
13. In a typical week I talk to my parents and sister every other day.
14. Growing up, I wanted to be a writer or the lead singer of an all-girl rock band.
15. I'm currently undecided about what I want to be when I grow up. I'm taking suggestions.
16. I used to be a night owl, but now I'm a morning person all the way. Give me a cup of tea (or coffee) and a whole day ahead of me and I'm a happy camper.
17. Most of my closest friends live far away. Shout outs to those in Minneapolis and Berlin!
18. I love my blog friends, too. It's weird to feel like I know people I've never met, but I do.
19. I taught high school in Japan for two years. I also led a conversation group and tutored a 3-year-old Japanese girl. She was so tiny and cute! Somehow I kind of taught her the word mustache, which she loved. She'd hook her finger over her upper lip and shout, "Mustar!"
20. You can usually find me listening to the radio and knitting on Sunday nights. Sunday nights are hands down the best nights for radio around here. From 8 until 11 the Country Gentleman plays bluegrass, traditional country, and old-time country. He's 81 and such a hoot. You can stream it if you aren't lucky enough to live in Louisville.
21. My favorite ice cream is salted caramel from The Comfy Cow. Butter pecan is a close second.
22. I try not to watch much TV. However, I can't stop myself from watching Modern Family, Downton Abbey, and Parenthood.
23. I put off doing dishes as long as I can.
24. In high school I wore a pair of tight sparkly jeans in public. More than once.
25. Also in high school, I voluntarily attended a personal finance class that started at 6:30 AM because my friends were doing it. Peer pressure for nerds.
26. The college I attended has a crypt in the administration building. Every Halloween they'd draw names of students for the privilege of staying overnight in the crypt. I never put my name in that creepy raffle.
27. I'm happy.
28. Today is my birthday. I'm entering my twenty-ninth year. Let the adventures continue...