Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

you and me and tea



I assembled my teapot tonight and trimmed some teacups to go with it. It still needs a couple of firings, glaze, and a handle before I can have a tea party. If it were ready now, I'd invite you for tea. We'd have black tea with cream and eat cupcakes with strawberry cream cheese frosting (they're in the fridge now, calling my name).

I'd tell you that:

  •  I need three-day weekends every week.
  • The house smells like strawberries because I bought gallons of them this weekend. I baked strawberry cupcakes and made sweet strawberry jam. Bowls full of berries wait in the fridge for me to make strawberry ice cream and another batch of jam. And the freezer is packed with strawberries for smoothies and muffins.
  • I cleared a place along our fence and planted six tomato plants. They all have charming names: Golden Jubilee, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, San Marzano, and Japanese Black Trifele. I've forgotten the sixth one, and it's too dark now to look. 
  • I really need to weed my herb garden. It's getting embarrassingly overgrown. Just focus on the tomatoes for now. Please don't look at the herb garden!
  • K put together a couple of Adirondack chairs today. We sat outside at twilight eating strawberries and drinking red wine as the stars and lightning bugs appeared. Our house feels like home these days.
  • We celebrated my dad's birthday this weekend. Please send good thoughts his way. He gets some test results back from the doctor this week, and I'm hoping so hard that they're good.

* * * 

Then, I'd pour you another cup of tea and maybe let you get a word in edgewise. 

What would you tell me over tea?

*

6 comments:

  1. I need to learn how to throw! I know how to make cups and pots with coils but throwing has always fascinated me. They look really great. I can't wait to see your finished pullover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pots! I want my house to smell like strawberries, too! Oh how I would love to pop over for some tea and cake. I'm sending good wishes for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post Allison. I love the teaset , and can't wait to see it when it's completed. If we were to sit down for tea, I too would tell you about my garden, and about all the zucchini, pepper, tomato, eggplant and basil seedlings that I can't seem to find the time to transplant this year - but there are only so many hours in a day, and sometimes is just nice to sit down and have tea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the weeds! They can be frustrating. I see how mail carriers feel---every time you turn around there are more weeds/mail. Ah well, it's all worth it in the end, isn't it?

    You've got tomatoes I've never heard of! I hope they all grow and produce like crazy.

    Over tea, I might tell you about the sweet memoir I'm reading right now. It's Jenna Woginrich's other book (her first was "Made From Scratch.") This one is called "Barnheart." It's just as breezy and enjoyable as the first.

    Sending good thoughts for you, your Dad and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you like heirloom tomatoes, I highly recommend the Green Zebra varietal. Oh so yummy! It has a slight fresh zing to it and is green and striped when ripe.

    I love the pot and cups. I'm a big tea fan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O the things you are accomplishing these days! I envy any three day weekends as it feels I never have time nor energy to do what I dream of in my head--even though I have the summer off! We planted seeds for our garden, but only a little cilantro & some radishes came up--not sure what happened. I plan on crocheting a few projects this summer as well, but I've simply been fingering the yarn, working to get over my fear of frustration from not remembering the stitches or the unavoidable re-stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin