Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Yarn along: balsam fir socks


Yarning along a day late this week

This week I've been working on my Balsam Fir socks, named after all of the lovely firs we found in Maine. Our hikes through moss and evergreens were permeated with the scent of fir and pine.  I worked on this sock on our vacation and still am only halfway through it. Progress is so slow with tiny yarn! I've also been distracted with books lately. This week I'm reading Radical Homemakers, and last week I read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, which is a really fun mystery.

And because I didn't post last week, but was participating in the yarn along in spirit, here's what I would have posted if I had had computer access:




I've got a lovely pile of Chickadee yarn that I picked up at KnitWit in Portland. I've been admiring Quince yarns online, and once I saw some skeins in person I couldn't wait to knit something with it. Chickadee has a lot of bounce to it--I can't stop squeezing it. My yellow skeins are waiting to be knit into my very own Audrey in Unst cardigan. I won't let myself start on it until I finish my summer sweater, which is stalled at the moment because I misread the pattern. Still, I can't help dreaming of knitting more cardigans. Shalom and Estelle are calling my name, too. The more the merrier!

As far as books go, I've been craving suspense and mystery, so I picked up a quaint island page-turner by Karen MacInerney. It's been a fun read.

* * * * *

What are you reading/making this week?

* * * * *



7 comments:

  1. The chickadee yarn is beautiful very tempting to knit something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have great restraint not to cast on that yellow yarn! I admire you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see the end products of all that knitting! And thanks for the book suggestions too. Right now I'm wrapped up in Philippa Gregory's Cousin War's: The White Queen and then the Red Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, I love the colours of those wools.
    Thanks for our comment on my blog, my family look crazy cute with their octohats on, heavy emphasis on the crazy :)
    I've read the books Phoenix is reading they're great/
    . I read like a woman possessed, and recently had to have a couple of weeks off work on sick leave, so powered through some great books:
    a few by Ian Rankin, he writes great mystery detective series set in Edinburgh, with great main character, Rebus
    I'm reading Breakup by Dana Stabenow now, great mystery series set in Alaska
    and lastly read quite a few by Alexander McCall Smith, who is one of my favourite writers, and whose books are an absolute joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reading Jonathon Franzen's Freedom which I just can't get in to! And I just bough Steinbeck's East Of Eden which I've never read... I heard SATBOTP was good, I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello! just wanted to let you know i appreciated your comment on my blog during the SMS giveaway and have just linked to your blog from my most recent post on GrowMama.blogspot.com...nice to 'meet' you!
    anissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping to get my hands on a copy of Radical Homemakers! It's on my massive "To-Read" list.
    I finally took the plunge and started Anna Karenina to other day. I've had it on my shelf for ages but the size was so intimidating. (I've gotten used to short reads lately like "A Scattered Life" by Karen McQuestion and "Shopgirl" by Steve Martin.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin