Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

knitting frenzy





Hello. I am happy to be visiting here again. Over the past month I've thrown myself headlong into knitting, spending any free moments when I'm not caring for my boy, working, or keeping the house together with needles in my hands.

In truth, it has been frenzied, knit-like-the-wind knitting. I have been staying up too late and falling into bed only when my fingers can't knit another stitch. I have been knitting because I have to. I have to make something. I need the mindlessness of blindly following a pattern, even if it means making mittens that are two inches too big for my boy's hands. I need the control of deciding to alter a pattern when it isn't working for me, like the "Easygoing" socks that somehow stumped me from the get-go. It is not a hard pattern. I was just having a hard time. So I changed the stitch count and eliminated one of cables (one of two, mind you--somehow that second one pushed me over the edge), and now it works for me.

My knitting frenzy didn't come out of nowhere. I had a miscarriage last month. I just wanted to mention it here because so many of you offered support after my last post and because I strive to be authentic and open in my life. I thought about writing more about the miscarriage here, but for now I don't plan to. I am comfortable talking about it on an individual basis, but I don't want to put it out into the vast unknown of the Internet.

But know that I am okay. I am almost to a place of relaxed knitting. I can feel my mind and my fingers slowing their pace, forming stitches for enjoyment once again. It's a good sign.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, Allison! So much love to you. I know that particular knitting frenzy. I've been there myself. I'm keeping you warm in my thoughts and hoping for much, much better days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful knitting :-)
    I'm so sorry to hear you've been going through a hard time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts are with you! You have such gorgeous creations and I love how you make everything your own when something isn't working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry Allison! That's a tough, awful thing to go through :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your spirit sounds strong and loving which I hope carries you through this sad time. Knitting is truly a wonderful therapy and you get to make beautiful and warm things for you and your loved ones at the same time. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knitting seems to be the medicine many of us seek when we are in dire need of comfort. I am so glad you have it as you more than anyone needs it right now. I wish I were close, so that I could give you a hug. More than anything I wish I were magical and could take away your pain. I am very sorry for you and your family, Allison! Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a sad time. Blessings on you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very sorry to read about this new hurt. You are brave to share that tidbit. I'm glad knitting has been a bit of a comfort to you. Sending you a hug.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin