Pages

Sunday, October 26, 2014

down by the sea, on a blanket with my baby






down by the sea, on a blanket with my baby socks

I bought this yarn nearly four years ago when I was a freshly minted knitter determined to knit socks. I remember walking into the knitting shop shyly, as I always did then, because it seemed everyone there knew one another--I was forever interrupting the jovial shop conversation by being a stranger among them--and even more importantly, they all seemed to know what they were doing. I had only this semi-abstract notion that my knits and purls could somehow form socks. Of course I pretended I knew what to do and picked from among the few skeins of sock yarn I could find, which were in the sale bin, and now I realize there were probably whole shelves full of the stuff if only I had known where to look or, you know, just gotten up the courage to ask. I picked this blue variegated yarn, which is not my style at all, so I must have been pretty desperate to make socks to have picked it up in the first place.

I took the yarn home and excitedly cast on a sock, but being a new knitter meant that even though I wrangled those double-pointed needles, I had no idea about laddering, so I ended up with tell-tale loose lines down my sock and had to rip out the whole thing.

I tucked the yarn into my stash and forgot about it until earlier this year. I decided that even though it's not my style, I wouldn't mind it if I toned down the variegation, so I paired it with a dark blue yarn for the heels, toes, and cuffs.

These socks were months in the making, simply because I tossed them aside for other things and then when I finally finished them I couldn't be bothered to weave in the ends. They sat in my knitting basket* until my knitting frenzy, when it became an urgent matter to finish these before the cold weather set in.

I'm glad I finally did finish them because they're warm and I actually do like them. Sure, they aren't really my style, but the yarn tells the story of the knitter I once was--unsure and shy but daring enough to try--and I'll wear that as a badge of honor.

* * *

What yarn tells your story? 

* * *

*I imagine it's somewhat like the Island of Misfit Toys in there, only a basket of almost-finished things.

4 comments:

  1. "the Island of Misfit Toys..." ha!!! So true. The socks are cute! And what a wonderful way to bring your crafting full circle. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are really nice little blue socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great analogy. These are wonderful sicks. The blue variegation is happiness and accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the variegated blue - especially how you matched it up so nicely with the solid dark blue. Is it hard to change colors for the heel? I've always wanted to try but never knew where to change the color.
    Haha, oh the Island of Misfit Toys... I love that movie and that little island :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin