Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

weekend snippets: storm



power outage



smashed



uprooted

K and I returned from a day trip on Saturday to find the streets in Louisville dark. We had no idea what had happened, but found out that a wild storm with high winds had ripped through the city. Nearly 120,000 homes and businesses were without power, and public schools ended up being canceled for two days. 

We spent our power-less night with the windows open and candles burning. On Sunday morning we walked around the neighborhood to survey the storm's damage. In our area there were some big trees down. We saw this smashed car, but no heavily damaged houses like in other parts of the city. Despite the loss of beautiful old trees, we're feeling pretty lucky. Hope you're having better weather where you are.

10 comments:

  1. goodness! I hope no one was injured in that storm ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It must have been really disastrous! I hope nobody was hurt!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think anyone was hurt in Louisville--at least I didn't see any reports of it. It was mainly just property damage here. To the north there were three people killed at the Indiana state fair when high winds caused a stage to collapse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Glad you are safe! Amazing what powerful weather can do isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had just driven back from Northern Indiana when the storm hit, so we were very thankful, too! Trees were down everywhere on our side of the river, but I didn't see any major damage to houses, either. Hope the weather only gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes...Cincinnati seemed to be fine, no bad weather at all! Glad to hear all is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're alright!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like one scary storm. I'm glad you're safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, my beloved Louisville!... I hadn't heard anything about this until I read it here. I'm so glad your car and apartment (and you guys!) are safe & sound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...that's really scary! Mother Nature likes to remind us every once in awhile that she is indeed in charge. Humbling.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin