Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pretzels and Lemonade

Yesterday I didn't feel so well--one of those achy, it hurts to move, I guess I'll just sleep kind of days--but I didn't let it get me down. I used what energy I had to make soft pretzels, one of my favorite foods ever. I have such a hard time resisting them when I go to the mall. I'm pretty sure I made this whole batch of sixteen pretzels for the same amount of money it would cost you to buy one at the mall. No, mall pretzels aren't so expensive, it's just that homemade pretzels are a wonderful bargain.

When I make these again, I'll sprinkle more salt on each pretzel. I didn't take into account how much salt would fall off! Oh, and I also need to get some really good dipping sauce. K and I both love getting that little cup of cheese at the mall, so if we could make some of that it would really take these pretzels to the next level.

The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen, the blog where Deb cooks up the most amazing food. Seriously, her recipes are always fantastic, so if you're looking to try out something new, check out her recipe index. Definitely let me know what you make! I want to try out her watermelon lemonade so badly, but I'm waiting for the watermelons in the garden to ripen. Agh, I hate being patient!

Luckily, I already had lemons on hand and while waiting for the watermelons to be ready, I made some Lemon Sorbet from David Lebovitz's The Perfect Scoop. This sorbet is basically just frozen lemonade, and it's delightful.* It lasts longer than regular lemonade since you can't slurp it down all at once without getting a cold headache. If you're interested in the recipe, go here.

Right now I am so in love with summer. There were times I doubted my love, like when summer got so hot that it was an all-day sweatfest at my house. But today, I love summer. I love the garden, all of the ice creams and sorbets I get to make, and the farmers' markets. I hope you're having a good summer, too!

* * * * *

*At a wine tasting in North Carolina, the lady next to me (who definitely thought she knew a lot about wine) kept calling all of the wines "delightful." I couldn't help giggling a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin