Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Buttercup Doily Pillow

I've really been on a roll making these doily pillow covers. This one is made from a buttercup yellow linen/cotton blend fabric and a white doily (another wedding leftover). It was pretty exciting to sew this one all by myself--my first independent sewing project. Woohoo!

The doily sewing part is the most relaxing because I can just curl up on the couch with my big quilting hoop (a lovely thrift store find) and sew away. Then I haul my sewing machine into the kitchen, drag the kitchen table close to the wall so the cord will reach the outlet, and get stitching the pieces together. Someday I hope to have a little space where my sewing machine can live permanently, but for now it's living a transient life and that's ok.

The fabric backing really lets the doily shine. It makes all of those little crochet stitches pop! I love finding new uses for vintage handmade things because it just makes my heart hurt to think of someone's hard work and effort languishing in a box somewhere. Yesterday I stumbled across a box in the basement of a thrift store just stuffed full of vintage doilies. It's so sad!

I've got more of these pillows in the works, and I'd also love to make a doily totebag.

If you've got any more project ideas for using doilies, I'd like to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin