Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

knitted baby things (baby bear hat, booties, blanket, and bubble pants)




I've been busily knitting for this baby of mine, who is set to arrive in less than 7 weeks! The deadline seems to be approaching ever faster.




My favorite project so far is this Baby Bear Hat. It's tiny and has such cute round ears. It was a breeze to knit up, and the pattern is free. I'd happily knit more hats like this if I didn't have so many other projects I want tackle in the next few weeks.




I also knitted a pair of baby booties, though they might end up fitting the baby in the heat of summer because the smallest size was 3 months. Oh well. If he can't wear them to cover his little newborn toes, we'll just have to venture out to somewhere air-conditioned come July.




This Umaro blanket is coming along so slowly, even though I'm knitting it on giant needles. I'm not enjoying knitting it very much because the rows are long and require me to refer to the pattern quite often. However, I'm think that if I don't finish this before the baby is born, I may never finish it, so that's keeping me motivated. And I do like the look of it, so the finished product will be worth it.




Because I can't take the Umaro blanket with me for commuter knitting, I cast on a vanilla pattern: Balloon Baby Pants. I call them old man pants and think they're about the cutest things ever. I first saw them on Alicia's blog and have been pining for a pair since then. I'm knitting this pair from the same yarn as my blue featherweight because I had it on hand.

K and I have picked up a few children's books, including The Snowy Day, at thrift stores and sales. Some nights we have story time and he reads to the baby. I not-so-secretly enjoy being read to as well, but I haven't been able to convince K that the baby really wants to hear the Harry Potter books.

*

P.S. The quilt in the background of some of these photos is one I've been working on with my mom. We're making two baby quilts together, and this vintage sheet one is our practice version. I'll post more on our quilting adventures soon.

*

P.P.S. I'm trying to keep my word of the year (resourceful) in mind lately and really weigh wants versus needs. However, Alicia is making it so dang hard with the adorable bunny kits she's putting together and her promises of little boy bunnies, too. Double want.


6 comments:

  1. I love the baby hat and the booties :)

    Have a great weekend!

    Lluisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...7 weeks! I am so excited for you.
    You have some wonderful things on the needle for little one. I am with you and think the baby would love to hear Harry Potter stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post! I love the little Baby Bear Hat too. I just queued it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bear ear hat. Us mummies have to put our babies in these cute little items

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I recommend if you haven't already picked them up...Hug by Jez Alborough + Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown & anything by Eric Carle?
    The set is adorable. 7 weeks may seem like awhile but it'll fly by fast. I hope you don't have to deal with swelling. THe blanket has great texture and detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is so adorable, especially that bear hat. I thought the same thing when you said the booties for a 3 month year old in July---I've often brought a sweater to restaurants or movie theaters because the A/C is so cold.
    This little fella is going to be surrounded in handmade.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcomed!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin